Have your cake and eat it too!
These no-bake cake bites are soft, chewy and delicious. It is a healthy treat packed with nutrients. They’re sweet and packed with flavour, without the added white sugar and gluten. Yes you read that right – these cake bites are refined sugar-free, gluten-free, dairy-free and vegan. Shhhhh you can’t tell.
These cake bites are super easy to make of course because I only ever do easy! This is the ideal treat recipe for busy schedules and anyone like me who is often “on-the-go”. No baking is required here which makes them fast to make, easy to pack and an instant treat in your mouth!
I am constantly trying to create simple healthy recipes that the whole family can endulge in. These cake bites have been a success with my little one. She attends nursery school and snacks are included however I decided to opt-out of this snack program once looking at the list of snacks provided. Our family sticks very closely to a dairy-free and refined sugar-free lifestyle with minimal to no gluten. Opting out of the snack program meant that I would have to become more creative with the snacks I pack Savannah to somewhat mimic the snacks being provided so she doesn’t feel completely left out. This is not an easy task! Well, these cake bites are always a WIN and she has her nursery school friends asking her to share! What parent doesn’t like a hidden veggie snack that tastes like dessert!?
All you will need to make this quick recipe is a few simple ingredients and a food processor or blender. You begin by blitzing the raw carrots in a food processor or blender until finely chopped. Then you transfer those to a bowl. Place dates, nuts and all other ingredients into the food processor or blender. I adore adding in dates to anything no-bake as they act as a sticky binder keeping the balls together. Not to mention they provide a lovely touch of natural sweetness.
I created this recipe with pecans for the caramel favour they have but you can most definitely swap out this nut for almonds, walnuts or your preferred nut of choice.
To this mixture, add the rest of the ingredients and then pulse until it forms a dough that you can roll into balls.
Important to Note:
- Keep the cake bites in the fridge as these tend to be softer than other no-bake bites I have created due to the high water content in raw carrots
- If nuts are an allergen in your household, you can swap in sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds for the pecans
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut, plus 1/4 cup for rolling
- 5-7 medjool dates, pitted (if dry, soak for 10 minutes first)
- 3/4 cup raw pecans
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup coconut butter (also called coconut manna)
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp fresh turmeric, grated or 1/2 tsp organic turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Place raw carrots in a food processor or blender and blend until finely chopped. Then transfer into a bowl
- Add all other ingredients and blend until fully combined – and a sticky yet workable texture is formed
- Roll out heaping tablespoon sized bites, and set onto a baking sheet, repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Pour 1/4 cup of shredded coconut on a plate or in a shallow bowl and roll each turmeric carrot cake bite to lightly coat.
- Place finished bites in the refrigerator to set for a few hours, or overnight
- Store in the refrigerator for one week or freeze for a one month