Of the winter soups, leak and potato is one of my favourites. I have fond memories of my grandmother making this soup for me when I was young. I have taken her classic recipe and added a twist! This creamy and comforting soup is delicious and takes less than 30 minutes to whip up!
In spite of the name, this soup does not have a drop of dairy. It might seem like a strange addition but I have used full fat coconut milk as the substitute to cream making this soup incredibly flavourful and thick.
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 cloves garlic
1 medium yellow onion
4 large potatoes
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon pepper
1/2 tablespoon cayenne
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- Cut of the tough dark green tops and discard. Slice the white and light green parts of the leeks into 1/4-inch thick slices. Peel and cut potatoes into cubes
- Melt the coconut oil in a medium pot and sauté garlic and onions until soft. Add leeks, potatoes, salt, pepper and cayenne then lower heat and cook for 10 minutes
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil the simmer for 20 minutes
- Using a hand blender, puree half of the soup (for a chunkier consistency)
- Add more spices after tasting (potatoes soak up salt so you may need to add more here) and coconut milk. Top with chopped parsley