As a child Brussels sprouts was one of those vegetables that I cringed even at the thought of eating them. They have become one of my favourite adult vegetables (when in season of course). Brussels sprouts are a great source of iron and potassium (important for bone health) and offer other benefits that can boost your overall health. Butternut Squash is a staple in my household in the fall and winters months. It delivers an ample dose of dietary fibre as well as potassium and vitamin B6 (essential for the proper functioning of both the nervous and immune systems). I try my best to incorporate vegetables, herbs and spices that boost the immune system during the fall and winter months to protect us from the common cold.
I adore the combination of ingredients here with all the flavours of winter. This dish is not only low-maintenance but it makes a beautiful presentation too – it was a wonderful holiday side dish that made a great addition to our Christmas menu.
- 4 cups Brussels sprouts (halved)
- 1 medium size butternut squash (peeled and cut into chunks)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup pecan halves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (Roast). Place the butternut squash chunks in a large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano. Place the Brussels sprouts halves into another large bowl and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Toss with your hands to distribute the oil evenly.
- Place the butternut squash on one baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place the Brussels sprouts on another baking sheet lined with parchment paper (tip: place the Brussels sprouts cut side down so they caramelize much more evenly).
- Roast the vegetables for 25-30 minutes, flipping them gently 1 to 2 times.
- Place the pecan halves in a pan and toast for 5-7 minutes until golden.
- Gently place the roasted vegetables in a large serving bowl or platter. Drizzle olive oil and toss the vegetables gently until they are lightly dressed. Serve warm.