Beetroot Hummus and Avocado Open Faced Sandwich
Beetroot’s deep, overpoweringly red juice has earned it the reputation as the most bossy of vegetables. It is difficult to resist the ruby red juiciness especially when you know just how good they are for you. It is a great source of iron and folate while also containing antioxidants and magnesium.
As a Fitness Trainer, I adore beetroot because it is suggested to enhance exercise performance. Beetroot is packed with nitrates which our body converts into nitric oxide, a molecule that enhances blood vessel dilation. As a result, this increases blood flow capacity, lowering the amount of oxygen your muscles need. Beetroot also enhances energy so grabbing a beetroot juice or shot around 3pm, when most find their energy dips, is much healthier than consuming caffeine (which causes a crash and burn effect).
So with all the benefits beetroot provides why not spice up our regular hummus with this superfood? I say Hell YA!
This sophisticated twist on the breakfast sandwich will liven up your day! Enjoy xx
- 1 boiled beetroot
- 1 can cooked chickpeas
- 2 garllic cloves
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 a lemon (juiced)
- fresh parsley to garnish (optional)
- Brown Rice Sourdough
- 1/2 hass avocado
1. Place 1 peeled medium size beetroot in a pot of boiling water. Boil on medium-heat for approximately 15 minutes or until soft.
2. Place lemon juice, olive oil, garlic cloves, tahini, chickpeas and the beetroot (in this order) into a high speed blender (a blender will give you a smoother texture than a food processor). Process until smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add some cold water until the mixture is a smoother consistency.
3. Season the mixture with salt, cumin, extra olive oil (optional)
4. spread the beetroot hummus on sourdough bread and top with 1/2 an avocado and then top with fresh parsley (optional).