There is something about warm baked apples topped with crunchy crumble that makes me drool. It is one of my favourite winter desserts and when you see how simple it is to make it will quickly become yours too! I also love apple crumble because it is made with simple ingredients that you likely have in your kitchen.
I have taken the classic apple crumble recipe and swapped out the ‘not so healthy’ ingredients for more natural options.
By using brown rice flour in place of all purpose white flour, this winter dessert is gluten-free. I have substituted coconut oil for butter and naturally sweetened the dessert with maple syrup and coconut sugar.
Enjoy this warm, comforting and incredibly delicious Winter dessert! Serve with Coco whip for an extra treat!
5-6 Apples peeled and sliced thin
1/2 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons Coconut Sugar
2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 cup Rolled Oats
3/4 cup Brown Rice Flour
1/2 cup Coconut Oil
Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a baking dish with coconut oil and set aside.
- Place the sliced apples into a medium bowl and mix in lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and maple syrup.
- To make the crumble, place the oats, coconut sugar, brown rice flour and coconut oil in a bowl. Using your fingers, mix the ingredients until crumbly. If it is too dry add more coconut oil.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the apple and place into the oven for 25-30 minutes.