Açaí Smoothie Bowl (Dairy & gluten-free)
As we have all likely noticed, smoothie bowls are the biggest trend on social media these days and for good reason! Take your smoothie make it thick and ditch your straw for a spoon. These thick and colourful bowls provide a ton of variety and the gorgeous toppings you can play with are not only healthy but fun.
Why are smoothie bowls so popular? You can eat them for breakfast, lunch or snack and feel confident that you will be getting the energy and fuel you need to tackle whatever the day throws your way. Filling your smoothie bowl with fruit, veggies, nuts, seeds and healthy fats gives you an easy meal packed with nutrients, fiber and vitamins.
The Açaí berry is the popular superfood from Brazil. It is an indigenous berry found in the rain forests of the Amazon. Along with this berry’s delicious taste, it provides an array of health benefits. The Açaí is a powerful fruit and its popularity is well deserved. Adding this energy-boosting fruit to your diet, will help stimulate your immune system and may help repair oxidative damage because of its high antioxidant content. In my popular eBook “Healthy is Sexy”, I speak a lot about beautifying from the inside-out and achieving true beauty from a whole foods diet. Antioxidants provide our cells with protection while slowing down the aging process.
Being an entrepreneur and mom I am always looking for fast and easy meals that are packed with nutrients to keep me going all day long. Needless to say, Acai smoothie bowls are my favourite these days. After eating this beautiful bowl of deliciousness you will feel satiated and full for hours. Not to mention it will satisfy any sweet craving you may have (minus any guilt or blood sugar dips).
Unfortunately here in Toronto, we are not able to get our hands on fresh Açaí berries. You can only purchase Açaí as a fruit puree and this can be found in the freezer of your local health food store. The biggest producer of this puree is Sambazon. Finding this puree is not the difficult part of this recipe, the challenge here is to find the balance of thickness for your smoothie bowl so that your toppings simply float on the top and do not sink into the mixture. Smoothie bowls really are not difficult but they can take a few tries, especially if you’re new to the smoothie-bowl scene.
If you want to blend a super thick and spoonable smoothie bowl follow my tips and tricks below:
- Make it thick – use frozen fruit to give you a thick base (you do not want a soupy smoothie bowl). The more frozen fruit and less liquid you use, the thicker the bowl. Be sure to use a powerful high speed blender like a Vitamix.
- Chill your bowl before starting – smoothie bowls can be delicate and can begin melting the moment you pour your mixture into the bowl. By chilling the bowl first you can avoid this.
- Find your perfect smoothie bowl – Its best to use a deep bowl versus a wide or shallow one to keep the mixture cold and it is a smaller surface to add your toppings to.
Açaí smoothie bowls are popping up at trending local juice & smoothie bars however I encourage you to try my recipe below. Remember smoothie bowls have personality so you can change up the toppings to whatever your heart desires adding your own flare!
Prep time 10 minutes
Total time 10 minutes
Makes: 2 Bowls
2 frozen Açaí packs (unsweetened)
1 frozen banana
¼ cup coconut milk
¼ cup coconut water
½ banana (slices)
¼ cup coconut flakes
¼ cup hemp hearts
1 Tbsp chia seeds
- Run Smoothie Packs under hot water for 5 seconds.
- Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until well combined (consistency should be that of a very thick smoothie).
- Poor Açaí mixture into a deep bowl and top with toppings.